Wednesday, November 26, 2008

October 28, 2008

We have been working on patterns over the last few day, how to extend patterns, finding the pattern rule by investigating patterns in a problem based context. For this particular outcome (solving problems using patterns), I decided I would group my class by ability and get three different problems for them to work on. Once the groups solved their problems, they were to compile their work and present it to the whole class explaining the problem and how they went about solving it.

I put Brad* in a group on his own and got him to work on patterns in the hundreds chart. I thought this would work well for him as he was having a lot of difficulty with multiplication, factors and even odd and even numbers. I introduced the problem to him, one where he had to find patterns in the chart and design a quilt based on the patterns (this lesson can be found in the Navigation Series – Navigating through Algebra in Grade 3-5 by NCTM, see side bar for reference information). For my other group, I gave them a problem involving a growing worm where they had to figure out the pattern of how it was growing. I wanted to challenge the other group. I chose the problem “Tiling a patio” which involved them working with square numbers, area and perimeter. This was the first time that everyone in my class was not working on the same problem. I thought this worked really well as I was able to target their abilities and give them a problem that I knew they would have success with, but also, one that challenged them. They liked the fact that they were working on different problems and I made sure they knew that I chose that particular problem with them in mind.

One particular thing I noticed about this set up was with a student I will call Kerry*. Now,Kerry is what I would consider an average student. It may take her a little while to catch on to the concept, but once she got it, she got it. She was in the middle group, in looking at the growing worm. I chose Mike* and Ben* to be in this group with her, as they were all on the same level of understanding. Kerry, along with her partners worked on this problem and finally, she solved it and seen the pattern. She was able to explain to me in good detail why the problem worked the way it did and how she came about solving it. At this point, the two boys still did not understand. I took this opportunity to have Kerry take the lead and try to help the boys understand the problem. I thought by giving her the leadership role in this situation it would help her confidence and communication skills. Instead, she got royally ticked with the boys and their inability to ‘get’ the problem. She was frustrated with them that they just did not understand. I stood back from the situation to see where it would go. She eventually gave up trying to explain it to the two boys and wanted to get out of the group. In a journal writing activity completed later, I asked students to talk about one thing they really liked about math this year, and one thing they didn’t like, and ironically, Kerry, in talking about what she didn’t like about math, talked about being put into a group that she felt was not ‘as good in math as her.’ She talked about how she felt really frustrated to be in that group and how much it bugged her that she was made to try and explain it to the boys. I thought it was interesting to see how Kerry reacted when she was put into the opposite situation that she normally finds herself into. I think this may have been a good lesson for her, I guess we’ll wait and see.

No comments: