Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Questions

Oct. 1st, 2008.

I have been really questioning my questioning. When I look at teaching math through problem solving, I realize how important it is to get students communicating, as it is through this communication that they learn to understand math. I am beginning to see that by asking students questions that require only one right answer, there is nothing really to talk about, or think about. I think about the except from Bolaer (2008) and what Sarah Flannery said about the importance of talking about mathematics. I have come to realize I can group the questions I have been asking my students in two ways; ones that allow communication and reasoning, and those that do not. I think about this and then come to the conclusion that there is a name for these two types of questions, open and closed. This is the point when all the bells and whistles begin to blow. All of the readings I have done, all of the articles I have read talked about using open ended problems in problem solving. Why did this not occur to me sooner? Ding, ding, ding – in order for problem solving to work I need to ask open ended questions? Is this right? Do I have it now? I think I have more research and reading to do.

No comments: