Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Second Challenge

Challenge Number Two:

The last entry leads me into my second challenge. I have before me, my intended outcomes to be covered in this unit of work. I am working on whole numbers which involves place value, scientific notation, reading and writing numbers to billions, multiplying and dividing numbers and so on. I am having difficulty finding and coming up with authentic tasks that are suited for the purpose of teaching through problem solving and to fit my class, which I really don’t know yet.

Van de Walle and Lovin (2006) defines a problem as “any task or activity for which the students have no prescribed or memorized rules or methods, nor is there a perception by students that there is a specific correct solution method” (p.11). O.K, no problem, I thought. But how do I start? What can I ask my students to do that satisfies the problem solving approach and learn the intended outcomes? According to Van de Walle and Lovin (2006) a problem must begin where the students are. I guess I can review the grade 5 curriculum and assume students are working from here? Van de Walle and Lovin (2006) goes on to suggest that the engaging part of the problem you pose must be due to the actual math they are to learn. O.k, so if I want them, at the end of the problem to know, for example, how to read and write numbers to one billion, that is what the problem must focus on. Easier said than done! The last requirement, as indicated by Van de Walle and Lovin (2006) is that a “problem must require justifications and explanations for answers and methods” (p. 11). That part is easy, just ask at the end of the problem, show how you know, right?

Something to ponder- I am learning quickly that it is the questions I pose and the investigations I give that is going to make or break this approach. How do I go about asking the right questions, posing the right investigations? Is there such thing as ‘right’ questions?

No comments: